_KEV9827.jpg
WIN_Site-3.jpg
Wintrange_History_011_web.jpg
_KEV9827.jpg

CHATEAU DE WINTRANGE


Rustic event venue with secret garden

charme in the Moselle wine region. 

SCROLL DOWN

CHATEAU DE WINTRANGE


Rustic event venue with secret garden

charme in the Moselle wine region. 

A PREMIERE VENUE

Established in 1610, Château de Wintrange is the perfect destination for your most important events. From elegant, rustic weddings to upscale, yet casual corporate events and family celebrations, Château de Wintrange provides a truly memorable experience for you and your guests.

Come and explore this magnificent and magical setting as we finish our renovations and additional guest rooms in the coming year, and plan your 2017 or future special event. Stroll through our three acres of gardens with towering cedars, rows of blossoming fruit trees and an abundance of naturally manicured beauty. Let the park be your playground for family gatherings or corporate events. 

The glassed Orangerie in the courtyard welcomes your guests for a dinner, wine tastings of our local vintages or for an unforgettable cocktail reception.

Unique and versatile, Château de Wintrange will bring your imagination to life and transform any event into a magical and very memorable celebration.

Located in Moselle wine country on the south-eastern tip of Luxembourg, Wintrange is a small village surrounded by vineyards, lakes and a bird sanctuary. Nested in the village center, Château de Wintrange is a short 30 minute drive from Luxembourg city and LUX airport.

More about the History.

The rustic Orangerie, located in the courtyard of Château de Wintrange.

WIN_Site-3.jpg

OUR STORY


Château de Wintrange is in the caring hands of the Schlesser family since 1938.

SCROLL DOWN

OUR STORY


Château de Wintrange is in the caring hands of the Schlesser family since 1938.

Named as one of the most beautiful privately owned castles in the Luxembourg region in Hémecht,  Château de Wintrange carries a long history of Nobles and Lords and simple people who were lucky enough to be the temporary guardians of this Renaissance gem.
Built in 1610 by Alexandre de Musset, Sire of Foetz, it has changed family ownership 18 times.
The village name Wintrange has first been documented in writings in 987 AD, although the area has been inhabited for several millennia. The Romans were the first to cultivate vineyards in the fertile soil of the river Valley. Remains of Roman villas have been excavated in the area.

Located in the picturesque Mosel river valley, Château de Wintrange is the historic monument of the village of Wintrange.
The castle was built with its own well system, waterways, a walled park and own vineyards. The surrounding property was much larger in the 1600’s than today, then being tended by servants.

The main building structure with its four towers hasn’t changed in the past four centuries.  In the 30-year war (1618-1648) some fortifications were added, as well as a gunport to protect the main entrance.
In the 18th century, the annexed barn with the 5th tower was built as a interconnected extension.  It was mainly used as horse stables.

In the 1930’s, iron ore mining Industrial Nick Schlesser hunted game in the lush forests above the village and fell in love with this little jewel of a castle in the valley. Previously owned by Gisbert de Witt, who cultivated the park into an orchard, the Château de Wintrange was sold in 1938 by Notary Champagne to Nicolas Schlesser.

Today, Château de Wintrange is still privately owned and carefully restored by Nick's grandson Philippe Schlesser and his family.
The castle and park are still the Schlesser family residence and can be rented for events, weddings, film and photo shoots. 


Nick Schlesser (driver) having fun with friends in his Hansa automobile in 1917. 

Nick Schlesser was an industrious man. Born and raised in Rumelange, one of Luxembourg's iron ore mining towns, he grew up working in the mining industry. The family business, a hunting equipment store, and a Restaurant, were both husband & wife operation. Nick went hunting, and his wife prepared the hunted game in the restaurant appropriately named 'Juegdstuff' (Hunting lounge).

Trying to focus on the orchard operations, as mining business slowed down in the early 1940's, the Schlesser family started selling their fruit in various épiceries in Luxembourg city. Mostly growing strawberries between the apple tree rows, timely delivery to the city was key, as fresh strawberries rot quickly once they're picked. A distillery was opened on the castle grounds to distill ripe fruit and make some delicious fruit Schnapps.

But nothing lasts forever, and Nick got a stroke after returning from being evacuated in WWII, returning to a ruin. Becoming paralyzed and stuck in a wheelchair, his son Henri Schlesser took over the operations with his mother in 1942 at the age of 13. Nicolas Schlesser passed away in 1952 succumbing to another stroke, at the age of 57. Henri kept the promise he gave his father on his dying bed, to keep the castle in the family, protect and restore it to its original beauty. 

Henri, who like to be called 'Hank' in English, and 'Heng' in Luxembourgish, worked in the construction business, and spent all of his spare time fixing the castle throughout his lifetime. Villagers always said that he wasn't married to his wife, but to the castle - which seemed appropriate, looking at the amount of time he spent on ladders renovating and restoring the family property. This castle was his life, and his life's work. Henri passed away at the age of 81 in december of 2010.

His son Philippe Schlesser, who studied Industrial Design in Denmark and Canada, took over the property, and started redesigning the property to make it more publicly accessible. After decades of the gates being closed to the public, Philippe plans to use the space for community and cultural events, and rent the spaces out for commercial use.

In order to finance the ongoing renovations and restorations of such a National Historic Monument, the castle lends itself as a venue for weddings, private and corporate events. 

Being a product designer, Philippe Schlesser created a designer label based around the family property. The brand, carrying kitchen and household tools called Chatwin, is named after the abbreviation of Chateau de Wintrange , as well as one of his favourite travel writers Bruce Chatwin, namely the book 'in Patagonia'. When Philippe isn't working around the castle or designing Chatwin products, he spends a good amount of time doing humanitarian work in developing countries with his organization DesignAID.

Wintrange_History_011_web.jpg

RENOVATIONS


SCROLL DOWN

RENOVATIONS


National HeritAge 

WE are only Temporary guardians of a National Historic Monument

Owning and operating a chateau that has become a national historic monument means that it's a job that never ends, a labor of love and filled with passion and a sentimental value from our family past and heritage. We try to respect the decisions taken by every previous owner and identify their era, style, taste and vision. Château de Wintrange has a few signature Renaissance details in the building structure, like the diamond shaped stairways windows facing the courtyard. Rather than adding yet another layer of our own taste, we chose to bring out the best of each era. This castle has been evolving over centuries, and has grown in size with additional buildings. Each component has been build according to the current techniques, technology and available materials, and can be identified as such. In 2014 we started a collaboration with the National Service for Sites and Monuments in Luxembourg to hopefully restore the building to its full glory and add an event space on the property in order to use it as a public space for events and be able to financially support the operations and ongoing renovations. 

 

In 1938, our grandfather Nicolas Schlesser purchased the chateau as a run down property at an auction. He restored and rebuilt the building and planted and orchard, selling fruit in Luxembourg city and distilling fruit schnapps, like prune, strawberry, mirabelle, pear, raspberry and other wonderful fruit distillates. We still have a fine collection of grandpa's great bottles down to 1942. 

When WWII broke out and our family was evacuated, German soldiers occupied the chateau for 11 months. It was a cold winter, and any wooden furniture and flooring ended up as firewood. Soldiers were freezing, and tried to make ends meet. The chateau suffered, but structurally survived. 

 A year later, our family returned to find the chateau in pieces. The US Army occupied the chateau soon after, and our family was once again evacuated for nine months. The military left a devastated chateau and family. Nick Schlesser had a stroke upon his return to the new ruin, and spend the next nine years paralyzed in a wheelchair before a second stoke ended his life in 1952.

His son, Henri Schlesser, then 23 years old took over the renovation and made it his life's work. On his father's deathbed, he promised to never sell the château and to rebuild it to its original glory. A promise he held, and a price he paid. 'He was married to his castle' people still say in the small village of Wintrange. It was true, Henri truly gave his life, time and money to keeping the promise. With age, Henri couldn't work as much anymore, but was too stubborn to pass it on to the next generation. Over the next fifteen years, the castle lay empty and alone, slowly degrading once again. In 2003, Henri's son Philippe pushed ahead to get the roof fixed and completely re-shingled with slate. This move saved the building from rain and decay. In 2010, Henri passed away at age 81 and left the castle to his son Philippe. Being an industrial designer and working in the field of design and architecture, the slow development and renovations of the château could begin under the watchful eye for detail.

Currently, the castle is being redrawn and renovated by Philippe's friend and work partner Jean-Paul Carvalho, who operates Carvalho Architects, and in collaboration with SSMN and the support from our village community and the people of the commune de Schengen.

Local workers taking a break from fixing the roof after WWII.

In the early 1974, Henri Schlesser cleaned up the stairway walls and discovered a inverted keyhole embrasure, as seen on the left the day it was opened up.

Proceeds from the rental of the château are used for renovations and upkeep of the property. We try to preserve this National Historical Monument, the heritage of our village and community.